Friday 18 March 2011

One Week On - A Thousand Cranes for Japan

Inspired by lovely Nicolette over at Dutch Comfort, I made these 3 rather sad looking origami cranes.


As Nicolette explains, in Japan the crane is a symbol of long life and happiness and if someone is lucky enough to have a thousand cranes then their wish is granted. While the crane is folded, positive thoughts are sent to those who are ill or in need of help.

My cranes are not nearly as pretty as Nicolette`s  (they obviously have lovely colourful glossies in the Netherlands), but it was fun making them.  I used this video tutorial and old magazines et voila.

I believe there is power in positive thinking so let`s all think positive thoughts and if you have the time or inclination, make some cranes too.

Happy weekend!

5 comments:

Janet Perry said...

I love these. At one time we had cranes of all sizes on every surface in the sitting room, made by Dora when she was about 9. There's a very poignant story about a terminally ill Japanese girl making thousands of them, but I can't quite remember it.
Our news from Japan is that James is fine but the shops in Osaka have sold out of pot noodles!
I am so humbled when watching the news to see such sadness and so much dignity.

Annabella said...

Thanks Janet - happy to hear that James continues to do okay even if there are no pot noodles! Very impressed that Dora was making cranes when she was 9..I was struggling at times but it was fun and I like the sentiment behind it.

Ansell said...

I love your cranes. Your eldest brother better look out! He used to be the Origami king in the family. I had no idea of their significance to the Japanese.They are in the process of reintroducing them to England in Somerset at a secret location. It will be lovely to watch them delicately tip toeing around again in Somerset.

dutchcomfort said...

They look beautiful to me Annabella! I made some more using scrapbook paper that was in my drawer for ages.
Happy weekend!

Miek said...

Hello Annabella, the cranes look great!
I once made a crane of a piece of paper that was 1 by 1 cm.
Thanks for your comment and have a nice sunday.
Miek