Tuesday 25 October 2011

Tuesday Penny Chews

It`s been a bit mizzy here weatherwise the last few days but today the sun came back, the sky was blue, there was a light breeze and temps in the mid 20 Cs.  My perfect weather.  If it stayed like this all year, I would be very happy.

Sewingwise, I have a couple of things to show and tell.

First off, I have finished the central part of the Red City quilt top, which I`m making in the Duo QAL.


I was hurrying this afternoon and it was only when I looked at this photo that I noticed the layout was far from perfect.  I`m not happy with that block of red in the 2nd from left vertical row.  I think I may have attached the wrong end of the third row.  Is it so bad that I should undo it?  The lazy girl in me is inclined to leave it. I`m thinking of attaching a white border and then a scrappy border and then perhaps another white border.  With careful placement of the scrappy border, can I detract the eye from that big block of red?


In other news, I have posted my scraps and goodie off to my partner in The Scrappy Swap 2011.  She seems lovely and is enthusiastic but she`s a long way away.  I hope she `s not waiting until Christmas to receive her scrappy fabric basket in Terrain and her scraps.  I`ve also attached a couple of goodies but couldn`t take photos as I bought them on the way to the post office.


These fabric baskets are great to make - quick and easy and useful for collecting those small scraps.  I have to make one for myself I think.  I used this tutorial by the lovely Ayumi.

I`m on a *ie*...I wouldn`t use that four letter word on my blog but I`m certainly trying to be more food aware.  This sewing lark involves quite a lot of sitting and when your clothes options become limited to those that are `comfortable`, you know it`s time to do something.  So I`m not denying myself anything but will eat less of it and more healthily...oh, and back to the gym after 6 months.  Ouch.  Don`t worry - no chance of me becoming a gym bunny and I promise not to bore you with my progress...unless it`s very very good.  I have my sister in law`s engagement party at the end of next month and would like to look a bit more presentable for that.

Wish me luck!

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday here. Head over there and see what `s occurring in other people`s sewing spaces.

27 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I love the quilt - if you can really be bothered, what about taking off the top two rows and flipping them over so only one row of un-stitiching and re-stitching - I'm not sure I'd bother tho'!

Oh good luck with the *ie*!! I'm with you xxx

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Good luck with the *ie*! Like Hadley's idea of flipping the top two rows if it's really bothering you...I think it looks great!

Cindy said...

I love the quilt! It's beautiful!
Your scrappy partner will be so super thrilled with that basket of goodness. pretty pretty :)

Katy Cameron said...

Sure it looks great as is, but Hadley's idea would work if it's absolutely killing you!

Cute wee basket.

Good luck with the *ie* LoD I'm loosely starting one next week - just as soon as I've finished the tablet from Skye... ;o)

leanne can blog said...

Your quilt looks gorgeous & I love that basket.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

we need to become "ie" buddies...I'm having carrot juice for lunch because my comfy clothes are even tight!
Love the quilt and I wouldn't change a thing. Everything you do is lovely. Lucky partner to receive that fabric basket.
xo

Ruth said...

Don't change anything on the quilt! It looks beautiful just as it is. Truly. I'd be willing to bet that you look pretty great just as you are, too...:)

MGB said...

Nice quilt!
I love the fabric you've used.

WandaFish said...

I think the quilt looks great too and the fabric basket is so cute!
Good luck with the *ie*! My own isn't going so well since you introduced me to the easy, yummy, biscuit cake slice thing!!

Helen in Switzerland said...

What a gorgeous quilt Annabella - I love it! (And you can leave the red - it's just fine!!)

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

I really like your quilt and I wouldn't be inclined to change it (although I do think Hadley's is a great solution if you really want to). Your borders will balance it out a bit and even if they don't its lovely! Your scrappy basket is great too :-) I am on the *ie* too although not doing v well :-(

Sheila said...

Love the Red City quilt, I think it looks fine as is..........also know for sure your partner will love the basket cos I got your last one!!

tusen said...

The quilt is lovely. Of course it would also look great if you followed Hadley's suggestion, but I like it very much as it is now, too.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your *ie*, I think I need to do something similar soon or at least start going to the swimming pool.

Danny Heyen said...

Ok, so first of all, the bag is gorgeous. I love the fabrics you used! And second, tell us about your progress! It's a great thing to want to get into shape and I'm sure everyone would want to encourage you on your endeavor!

Rebecca Lynne said...

As always - LOVE THIS. Damn, I wish I could see the way you do. I feel like next to your choices my colors are so muted somehow. ;) Thank you so much as always Annabella!!!

Ms. Becky said...

I love the quilt and think it beautiful. I'm familiar with the feeling you've expressed about the red block though. when something isn't quite the way you'd like it and you have the time/ability to change it, what oh what to do? accept or change? that's a tough one. I find it perfect though and would be thoroughly satisfied with it. I recently had to limit my caloric intake in order to take off some pounds that had accumulated. it wasn't so bad really - I stuck to a specific number of calories per day and lost what I needed to lose. best of luck to you in all your endeavors. and happy week Annabella!

Nancy said...

I know what you mean about something not being quite right on a project -- but ususally, the fix ends up being worse than the original so-called problem -- so I say leave it be. :) It looks great the way it is.

I'm on an *ie* as well. Must be that time of year.... good luck with yours.

Rhonda the Rambler said...

If that clump of red really bothers you then I think Hadley has a great idea. BUT I don't think it is a problem BUT it really depends on what color you plan on using for your quilting. If you are going to quilt in red then you might one to consider changing it. You need to think about these things before you decide if you need to change it. Get that baby layered because the first quilting tutorial will be posted in just a few days. Can't wait to see what you will do with it.

Anonymous said...

Are people with no knowledge on quilts allowed to have a word? ;-)

I saw what you were referring to when I looked at that top photo but you know what, when I turned my laptop upside down it looked fine :-)

Catherine said...

love your quilt, I don't think you should change anything

pasqueflower said...

Love the red and gold quilt!

Erin said...

Love the quilt! And the basket is cute but too small for my scraps pile, lol. Maybe I should get moving on it and make a scrappy quilt!

Leanne said...

I love the quilt as it, when I have not sewn blocks as I planned and then left them, I ended up loving it. I wish you the best of luck, I too went to exercise yesterday and today after a far too long hiatus. Maybe we should be long distance exercise buddies.

Jenelle said...

The colors in this quilt are amazing! To tell you the truth, I didn't notice the red block until you pointed it out. I can see how you might want to move it to make everything more even, but in a way I think the quilt has a very modern vibe to it having that off-center swath of red in it. I like it! Of course you should do whatever you feel you need to to make sure you like it too.That's the most important! I also added it to my pinterest collection. :)

Canadian Abroad said...

No comment on the quilt, because I already did - as I am reading through my blog backlog backwards! You can lose the weight if I can. I did the same - just ate less but didn't deny myself things, just got myself a little more self control. I needed it. Spending too much time alone in the daytime and evenings means there are no witnesses to my gluttony at times!

Unknown said...

Hello Annabella

I just can not still (still) beleive how talented you are - geesh!

Each time a get a moment to check in here - you have created, created, created.
Please tell me you have a dirty or untidy house - because if you have time to clean it and have it tidy and then create this I think I might go and.... well I just might go and lie down for 20.

well done lovely friend


loulou, hereiamloulou blog

x

Teje said...

Hi! That is so beautiful! I love the pattern and those colours! Great photos, too!
I should make fabric baskets to my selves - they look so nice and practical!
Wishes from Greece! Teje