Saturday 23 February 2013

Our Saturday

Someone asked me recently whether she was going to have to wait until it was really hot here in Marrakech before she saw some more photos of Marrakech on my blog. I took that as a hint; not a very subtle one.

It has indeed been a while since I put the fabric down and picked up my camera. To be honest, I have had a bit of a downer on Morocco for a few months.   However, today I was meeting real life friend Elizabeth and her husband Robert who were visiting from New York. Elizabeth used to live here and is an incredible photographer and can capture the beauty of everyday life. She blogs here, here and this is her dog Buster's blog.  Shhhh. Don't tell Archie. Oh yeah, she's a prolific blogger.

Perhaps a couple of hours walking in the souqs with Elizabeth could inspire me to take more photos. After a coffee, we went for a walk through the souqs and I tried to capture some of the beauty, colour and interest of Morocco which once held me captivated.

I think Zaki and the chameleon fall in to the interesting category...


...as does this huge tub of  fresh snails. Mmmm.  Not.


These baskets are definitely colourful!


As are these pink painted wooden tables.


...and these big balls of yarn (Zaki was placed for scale)


These tiles are beautiful, colourful and interesting and look like perfect inspiration for quilt blocks.


I love these bowls too.


Some of these fossils are really colourful and Zaki would definitely put them in the interesting category!


Pretty sparkly sequined baskets...


...and pretty sparkly lighting glimpsed through a pink archway while standing next to a pink bicycle.


Every day street scenes still capture my interest even after 11 years, like this woman cycling through an  archway...


...or this fruit seller and his cart...


...and I love this hand of Fatima painted on to the side of a building to ward off the evil eye.


...and even when we have reached the silly face time of day, I still find this little guy beautiful and interesting.

 

Thanks Susan for the kick up the photographic backside and to Elizabeth and Robert for a lovely walk through the souqs. I hope you enjoyed it too. Here's a very short video I shot as Zaki and I were leaving the restaurant where we had lunch.



41 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

your photos are great... such wonderful colours xx and a lovely little boy to make it perfect xx

Pomona said...

Just came over from Elizabeth - you are both showing some lovely pictures today. The colours are really inspirational!

Pomona x

Books_Bound said...

So pretty! I'd love to wander around there--it looks like such an interesting place. The only place I've been to anything similar is in China, and I really regret not taking more pictures.

And your son is unbelievably cute! That hair!

Canadian Abroad said...

I am not known for my subtlety, but you are known for you fabulous photography. Lovely to see it, and to see Zaki's fascination with everything. Thank you so much, Annabella. Now I just need to hop on a plane and come see you.

Anonymous said...

I just have to make it over to Marrakech this year, the colours are amazing (always wanted to go shopping in a souk). Having said that I am writing while it snows here in London!

dutchcomfort said...

Thanks for sharing Annabella, those pictures are so wonderful!

I love to see the fossils as I’m working on an idea for an art quilt whith a remnants theme.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth said...

Got your post --but not the pictures.....weird.
Will try again after supper!
Loved meeting Zaki as did Robert.
Got some good photos I think.
Longing to see yours!

heart of charnwood said...

It look fabulous, and well done for taking the sledgehammer hint from Mrs S, she was right, you do take lovely photos. That wool was phenomenal, bring some back for me next time you come! : )

Katy Cameron said...

What, you didn't want to get Zaki a pet in the first 2? ;o) I'm still working out if I can get over there with this holiday reduction thing. There's a possibility I can do some kind of 'benefit' trade in, but only after I've been there a month, so won't know for a couple of weeks yet...

Sunnybec said...

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes we dont really see the place we live in. I love your markets so colourful... Hugs xx

Catherine said...

Your photos are marvellous and made me want to hop on the next plane. What a vibrant and inspiring place to live. I showed my girls your pic of Zaki and chameleon and they were very taken with it.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

It does look beautiful, you are so very lucky.
PS. your video is set to Private xxx

Kelly said...

Gorgeous pics and Zaki, but ewwww at the bucket of snails!

Susan said...

Thanks for the tour! Perfect! It definitely gave me taste of your beautiful city!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

OMG that walk looked like dicing with death by moped!!

Indianna said...

I love the pottery and tiles lovely photos, hope you have rekindled your love.

Ellie said...

You do take a good picture yourself you know :))
It looks like a very bright and vibrant place to live.
Not to keen on that big bucket of fresh snails though :))

Strawberry Patch said...

Wow thank you for the tour, I loved it. Still need to come for real one day though! I would spend a fortune, I'd kill for one of those colourful baskets, the little pink stool is adorable and I'd hoard all that yarn and those tiles and pottery! Love it all.

Nicky said...

Great pics Annabella - the colours
are so intense!

Catherine said...

Fantastic photos, makes me feel part of it

Sheila said...

Thanks for sharing your colourful world - love the pots best.

tusen said...

So great to see a glimpse of your world. So much colour and inspiration. And the photo of Zaki with the chameleon is just perfect.

Judith, Belfast said...

Beautiful and stunning pics A! What an inspiring place! Jxo

Laura said...

Gorgeous photos, Thanks so much for making the time to share.

leanne can blog said...

Love these photos, great colours & interesting sights.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I sure am glad you got your groove back. I enjoyed these photos a lot and Zaki is adorable.

Anonymous said...

What a very fascinating place that you live!
Thank you for sharing Miss Annabella :)
Loved the video especially! It really gave atmosphere that still shots can't give.
xx

Betty said...

It's quite a contrast to my (boring) Saturdays ...
The pictures are great!
(thanks to Susan LOL)
I loved the video: the hustle and bustle, the noises, the shouting, the motorbikes or are they mopeds?
Great to get a glimpse.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

beautiful photos - blurgh to the tub of snails though!!
Zaki is so adorable x

Anna said...

The photos are so vibrant, I love the colours!

Elizabeth said...

Managed to see your super photos at last!
Bliss!

oxox

Molli Sparkles said...

Thanks so much or sharing these photos! It looks so magical and interesting with surprises around every corner. Happy to see these on your blog anytime!!!

Deborah said...

These are just amazing photos!! Thanks so much for sharing them. I love all the color! Not so crazy about the snails! lol

Kitchener Quilter said...

Wow, you've captured so much colour in your surroundings. Love this post.

Jenelle said...

Beautiful photos! For me it's nice to see a little sunshine and color, so I appreciate Susan's encouragement too! When I was Zaki's age, I would have given anything to hold an honest-to-goodness chameleon. ;)

Dolores said...

Hey A, thanks for the lovely photos and the video was fantastic. So simple but gives such an insight into life in Marrakesh. It reminds me so much of Egypt.

Marit said...

Holy big balls of yarn! Thanks for sharing your day out with us:)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I'm glad you've got your photography mojo back. I LOVE the colours of Marrakech and your photos are beautiful :)

Sarah said...

Marrakech looks beautifully full of colour and interest. Wow! I think it would be hard to take a bad photo. Trust Susan to give you a kick, hehe. And Zaki is just adorable. I wish my boys had inherited my thick curls, but instead they got their dad's lank straight hair.

Two Wednesdays said...

Lovely pictures - looks fascinating. I wonder if we all become dulled to the wonderfulness of our everyday surroundings?I think I have - familiarity has much to answer for !