Sunday 31 March 2013

Spot On

A final finish for March and just in time. I've rushed to take these photos as the light is dimming so they're not great but you get the idea. My scrappy granny quilt is finished. Ta-dah!


I started these blocks back in March 2012 when grannymania had taken over but then other things got started and projects needed finishing and they lay abandoned in a heap until early this year when I added them to my FAL list.

The blocks are made entirely from scraps and I really love the deep saturated colours! I used Kona Snow for the background but wish I had been a little more adventurous.

Aftersashing the blocks and adding a 3" border to all sides, I kept to the KISS rule (Keep It Simple Stupid) and did 'organic' straight line stitching 1/2" apart and it took ages!


For the backing I used some Hopscotch fabric from Amy Butler's Cameo line and some Robert Kaufman Spot On in navy for the binding, which I love.  All my bindings may now be spotty and navy from now on!


I think it was Jude who said that scraps are the memory keepers of quilt making and she's absolutely right - there are some of my favourite fabrics in this quilt - either because they are my favourite colour or design or remind me of a swap, QAL or a person who sent them to me.


I love this quilt.  It's sooo last year but it's very pretty and perfect for spring.  It's a quilt for my mum's room so now she has two quilts!  She was in Marrakech just recently after bringing forward her trip but it's on her bed waiting for her when she's here next.  In the meantime it may just get a snuggle or too...or not as it's warming up here and my quilting days at the machine are shortening.


Statistics
Front Scraps, Kona Snow
Back Hopscotch in Lake, Cameo Amy Butler
Binding Spot on, Robert Kaufman
Batting Quilters' Dream
Size 60" x 60"
Quilting Vertical Straight Line

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates it!

Lily's Quilts






37 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh yes that mojo is back - LOVE it!

Canadian Abroad said...

Love how you quilted it. Great finish!

heart of charnwood said...

I love it, just perfect, and the spotty binding is indeed spot on!

Carla said...

I love everything about this quilt. Great job on the quilting. Worth every minute ; )

Camilla said...

That was speedy in the end! With all that quilting too. I'm totally stalled on my straight line quilting. It looks beautiful and I think the white really lets the fabrics sing. Great backing too.

Anonymous said...

It's lovely. I still think this pattern is so beautiful in its simplicity. Great finish!

Deborah said...

This is a fabulous quilt! It has everything I love in a quilt.....great colors.....great quilting.....great pattern!

Susan said...

I love the scrappiness of your grannies!! Last year or not, it's still beautiful!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Gorgeous finish; love everything about it xxx

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Beautiful....but, wow, you must be very patient to sew all those straight lines!! Looks great though....maybe I will get one started, even if it is sooo last year LOL!

Judith, Belfast said...

Fabulous finish A! I love this scrappy quilt, especially as it is full of lovely memories! And isn't last year very now? (just don't tell me if it isn't)?! jxo

Katy Cameron said...

It's gorgeous, glad you got it finished :o)

Kirsten said...

So beautiful - love the colourful grannies and the straight line quilting is just right for this.

Beth said...

Such a beautiful finish! Love it!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

this quilt couldn't be any more perfect and you finished it just in time for the finish-along

Catherine said...

Its a fabulous quilt, well worth the time it has taken. Love it

Charlotte said...

it's perfect! Congratulations on the finish :-D

Nicky said...

Oooh well done Annabella! Such a great quit and love the quilting - it must have taken ages!

Trudi said...

Absolutely stunning old ladies!

Just Sew Sue said...

Beautiful job. You can never go wrong with a dotty binding either.

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

So so so beautiful! I love everything about it! x

Dianne Neale said...

It's gorgeous and soooo NOT last year!

Sarah said...

Beautiful! Sooooo NOT last year, it's timeless. I hope you're keeping this one for yourself. Happy Easter Annabella. Question from the uninformed: can you get Easter Eggs in Morocco?

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

Lovely! Well done on getting it finished!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Gorgeous grannies! I'm glad they've got their own room - that's just the way Age Concern like it ;o)

maria said...

It's gorgeous. I love the fabrics.

Cindy said...

SUPER FINISH! I am so happy for you, A. It's an absolute beauty.

Pippa Parsons said...

Fab, it's stunning, your mum is a very lucky lady ;)

Jessica Pyykkonen said...

Lovely finish!

Jennie said...

Your quilt is beautiful - and straight line quilting is perfect!

Sarah said...

Oh I love your granny finish! It's beautiful - hope you enjoy using it!

Jenelle said...

It's so beautiful! I love how the scrappiness is balanced by the white background. How fun is that binding too. :) I also really like how the straight-line quilting worked with this design. It's perfect for it.

Sheila said...

Your Granny is beautiful - Judith is bang on with the scrap memories, I can remember all sorts of things when I look at my old quilts.
Your quilting is super, I know it will have taken forever as I have done a bit of the straight lines recently and more is more.

Taryn V. said...

It is gorgeous! I love the backing you chose too. The straight-line quilting was the perfect choice for this quilt!


Thanks for linking up to Let's Get Acquainted this week!

Anonymous said...

very nice finish !!

Nicole said...

Absolutely beautiful, Annabella!

Leanne said...

This is beautiful, a wonderful quilt!