Wednesday 11 June 2014

WiP Wednesday

After making some progress on my orange, aqua and grey Hexy MF quilt (see below), I thought that I was completely justified in starting another EPP project.  Well it is getting warmer and there isn't an 'r' in the month, although we are enjoying a beautiful early summer with completely tolerable temperatures...if only that would last.


So here are my scrappy Tanuki blocks made from 2" squares and 2" diamonds. The idea comes from Jessica Alexandrakis'  fab book Quilting on the Go! The blocks will be made in to a panel approximately 18" wide (about the width above) and then pieced with neutral strips of fabric on either side.

I've also made some more progress with my orange, aqua and grey hexies.  It feels so good to be getting on with this project and with perhaps the end in sight.  All your cheerleading here and on IG have really helped me get on.


This quilt was part of Katy's Hexy MF QAL a couple of years ago. I tracked down the posts which you can find on the Fat Quarterly blog.


I made my own bias binding for the stalks and it was a little tricky to appliqué exactly where I wanted it.  The flowers and buds were also machine appliqued, using some leftover blocks from the main panel. So just the leaves now. These are proving slightly troublesome as you have to tuck the twiddly bit at both ends behind the leaf. I've tried both freezer paper leaves and EPP diamonds and I think I'm going to stick with the diamonds. These pictures show some of the leaves - I have a few more to make to balance up the border.

So almost one end finished and then the other end to do.


What are you working on this week?

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.




14 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Looking lovely! Is the dark grey a crosshatch? It looks like one in my epp on my blog header.
Love your new epp too. What fabric is the dark blue on the left of the second top row? Is it Beauty Queen or something else?

Susan said...

I have been watching your new EPP project on IG, but hadn't realised they were diamonds and squares- what a unique shape they make together! And of course you know how much I love your hexie quilt! I have always wanted to make this pattern and yours is very convincing! I hope the weather stays cool enough for you to enjoy your sewing!

Joanne said...

Your epp is stunning!! Those hexies just pop off that background fabric, I just wish I had the patience for a project of that size!!

Katy Cameron said...

Love both projects! And lol at the 'r' in the month, I said something flippant like that to my team in Mauritius the other day, and they were like, 'WTF?!'

Rachaeldaisy said...

I love your Tanuki shapes, they're so different. Your hexie quilt is an absolute beauty.

Jenelle said...

Very cool EPP! I should experiment more with different shapes I think. :)

Cindy said...

Oh, A! Its absolutely stunning. The borders really make the theme shine. Love the colors you're using to :)

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your hexie quilt is coming on beautifully and I like the new EPP design :)

CJ said...

It's SO nice to see your EPP projects. I usually do EPP rather than machine stitching and it's nice to have some inspiration. I love the new design, it fits together so neatly. And the hexagons are looking fantastic. Glad it's not too hot with you yet, long may it last! CJ xx

Biscuit said...

Both of your EPP quilts are amazing! I am itching to start my own version of those designs now. If only I didn't already have so many on the go!!

Catherine said...

Your tanuki blocks are going to be beautiful - I love the way your colours are going - and your hexie quilt is stunning!

Anonymous said...

The hexy quilt will be such a treasure for your family. I love it!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Love the epp project!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Hexy MF is absolutely gorgeous!