Thursday 2 October 2014

Thoroughly Modern Maples (Marrakech Edition)

It's autumn.  My favourite season. It always has been - from my childhood when I grew up in leafy Warwickshire to my life now when it signals the end at last to months of extreme heat.

Back in April, I asked my wonderful Stitch Tease gals to make maple blocks for my second round. I wanted my own bit of fall in a country where there are only two seasons.



I suggested this tutorial for a 12¨ finished block but left them to make smaller blocks if they preferred.



There are some great variations in Lynne and Kerry's 500 Quilt Blocks. I asked for one block in traditional fall colours and the second in jewel tones - both scrappy with low volume backgrounds.


They sent the most beautiful blocks but summer quickly arrived and they were packed away.

Before we left for England in August, I made some improv. pieced low volume filler blocks and assembled them with the maple blocks in a random arrangement to give the impression of falling leaves.

Fast forward to last month when I basted and quilted it using organic wavy overlapping vertical rows every couple of inches. The batting is my favourite Dream Orient - it has a beautiful drape.


The backing is something I picked up in a Pink Castle $6 yard sale - it's Honeycomb in Sunglow by Freespirit and is very pretty. The binding is a yellow chevron. I wanted a paleish binding which allowed the leaves to be free rather than a dark binding which would frame them.

There was a bit of 'accidental perfection' with the last mitered corner.


Thank you so much to my bee mates Helen, Hadley, Susan, Katy, Ange, Di, Dianne, Val, Cindy, Jennifer and Trina for the beautiful blocks they made.

Now I have my small bit of fall - Marrakech style!


We're now in the third round of Stitch Tease and it was my month again in September. The blocks have started to arrive and they are amazing. I may have caused my bee mates some pain in making them for which I'm sorry - I'll show you them another day and the colour palette may surprise you!

For now I shall link up with Lynne's Fresh Sewing Day.

Fresh Sewing Day


43 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I absolutely love it!!!!

Steffi´s Candy Quilts said...

VERY beautiful fall quilt! Love the colors and the low volume background fabrics. And the binding is perfect!

Darcy said...

I would never have chosen this color palette and I LOVE it! It really does look like a Fall jewel box. Wonderful finish!

Ucki said...

Hi,I,m Ucki from Germany
Your Quilt is very very beautiful, perfekt for Marocco!
Last Vacation we Visited Warwick, it is a very lovely
Countryside!
Many Regards
Ucki

Ella said...

It's stunning. I love the mix of summer and fall colors.

DeborahGun said...

It is so so pretty. I love the richness of the colour - autumn, but not quite :-)

Rachel said...

Oh, this is beautiful! Love the different blocks sizes.

Debbie said...

oh this is downright beautiful! What amazing color!!

Julie said...

This is just beautiful. I have a maple quilt in my "to do list", it was always going to be autumn toned, you may just have changed my mind. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lori said...

this is really lovely. I adore the leaves in different colors they way you did them.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's stunning and very, very you!

Anonymous said...

Phantastic! Fresh & colourful. It looks really professional... love your choose of colours.

heart of charnwood said...

Love your quilt, it was a fabulous idea, and the blocks were pretty simple to put together I enjoyed making them. Hope you enjoy your new quilt :o)

Catherine said...

It is a beautiful quilt - your choice of autumn/jewel colours is so clever!

Catherine said...

Gorgeous quilt Annabella

Katherine said...

Stunning! Love those scrappy leaves with their low volume backgrounds, Annabella. You and your bee mates made a delicious quilt to celebrate your favourite season. Love it!

Susan said...

This is SO lovely Annabella! I love the colours so much- it gives your quilt such an individual feel! Beautiful!

Judith, Belfast said...

This is so beautiful A! Definitely on my bucket list! Jxo

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Wow! It's a stunner Annabella!

Kirsten said...

This is so beautiful! Love how bright and colourful the leaves are.

Leanne said...

I love it too! I think you and your bee mates used just the best colours for this pattern.

liz said...

The color combos and the way you arranged the leaves are brilliant. Gorgeous!

Jacqueline said...

Gorgeous colour combination! This is one of the best Modern maples I have seen. I love it!

Carla said...

Annabella. You made me catch my breath. So so gorgeous. Jewel toned leaves. I love it! Perfect with the low volume fabrics

Sarah said...

Think I'm in love with Marrakech fall! This is an amazing quilt, enjoy!

cheeky monkey said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors and is stunning!

Cindy said...

Wow that's an absolute stunner! Absolutely amazing - better that it was made with friends :)

Isisjem said...

So is this a good time of year to visit your home weather wise? Not that I'm planning to steal this quilt or anything like that. No not me. Honest. ;-)

knottygnome said...

what a great bee quilt! it's absolutely stunning.

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable! I love the colours! x Teje

Charlotte said...

it's so beautiful! The colours are perfect :-)

Nat at Made in Home said...

What an amazing finish!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This quilt is beautiful. A really lovely collection of blocks :)

Dianne Neale said...

Lovely quilt annabella. I little bit if England?

Wens said...

Wow it's so beautiful! I love the jewels tones with the fall colours too. Makes it nice to have out all year round :) lovely work all!

pennydog said...

The jewel colours and the autumn colours play so well together, it's beautiful!

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, that came out beautifully!

Sarah said...

Your maples quilt is beautiful. I love how they've thrown in leaves made in non traditional colours, jewel tones. Autumn is my favourite season too, for the same reason. It signals hope after a bloody hot summer in Australia. It was 37here yesterday and it's only mid spring. What are your two seasons? Hot and hotter?!

Martha said...

It is absolutely beautiful! What a great finish.

Rachaeldaisy said...

What a beautiful quilt! I love the springy colours you have used!

sawsan said...

Wonderful quilt and beautiful colors

http://myeleganthome.blogspot.ae/

Anonymous said...

Love this pattern. What is the size of your small maple leaf?

Anonymous said...

Love this pattern. What is the size of the small maple leaf?