Monday 19 September 2011

Playing the Waiting Game

Patience may be a virtue but I am not a patient person. I wish I was...it would come in handy while waiting for my sewing machine. Looking at DHL`s tracking online, I can see that it left England on Thursday evening and whizzed through Belgium and France before arriving in Casablanca on Friday morning. Since Friday it has sat there and there has been no progress.  It is in the hands of the customs men and to get my hands on it I have to provide a paper saying that we will pay the couriers the duty when it arrives in Marrakech.  It`s a bit like signing a blank cheque as we have no idea what the customs will be until we`ve signed the paper. Hmmm.

In the meantime, the old lady is back from the menders and has been on best behavior.  Here`s what we have made together...

Fabric baskets for my swap partners in The Goodie Swap 2011.

To make these fabric baskets, I used this tutorial by the very talented Ayumi.   The tutorial was very straightforward except for when I sewed the handles into the lining!

These are not really my colours but I`m hoping my partner will like them.  The fabric is Parisville by Tula Pink.
I love this basket and would happily keep it. I used more Parisville and I think the blue and pink fabric is Amy Butler.










These are the two mug rugs that will be winging their way with the fabrics baskets to the swap partners later this week...

A wonky 9 patch using Liberty prints. I decided against the butterfly mug rug, which will stay home with me.
An unintentionally wonky bookshelf with leaner.












This afternoon I have not been drumming my fingers but belatedly cutting out the backing pieces for this quilt top. There are a gazillion pieces all in neatish piles and waiting to be sewn together.  That`ll be the old lady`s job tomorrow...hopefully her last before she heads off into the sunset to Sunnyside Retirement Home for Sewing Machines.

Linking up with Sew Modern Monday and Manic Monday.

So amazed and excited to see I have near on 100 followers...thank you to all my lovely followers and their fabulous comments that make my day!

18 comments:

Toni said...

Those baskets look great! They are such a useful item, too. I think I may have to make some, since I don't think that I'm your partner. Your new wonky mug rug is cute, too. I think whoever you got as a partner is lucky!!

Catherine said...

I do love those baskets and the colours.
My heart sank when you said you had cut out all those squares: I havnt done it yet and I think I may have to 'vary' my back: Hadley thinks that is cheating, but its more being creative with the limited time I have!!

Megan said...

Great fabric baskets--I love your fabric choices! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

leanne can blog said...

Very clever. I like those fabric baskets (particularly the 2nd one!)

Cindy said...

They're beautiful! As you know, I'm newly addicted to the little basket. Yours are adorable! Just package up that little pink one and send it my way, please.

Your 'rugs are great too! Boy, you have lucky partners :)

Ellie said...

My but you have been busy, I love your baskets. Have fun with your new machine when it comes.

Katy Cameron said...

Got to love how customs in all countries hold you to ransom...

Love your baskets though, glad the old lady's been behaving herself

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

All your makings are beautiful - I hate the waiting game xxx

Kirsten said...

I love your baskets - such pretty fabrics! And your book end mug rug is so cute!

Canadian Abroad said...

I can almost hear you drumming your fingers with impatience as I read the post. Poor you, I hate waiting too!

Heidi said...

I totally get that obsessively waiting thing... man, I do. I love those baskets and want to buy a mug rug or two... do you have an etsy shop or can I just buy some from you directly? LOVE them!!!

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Oh, customs. I have a package of half-price Kona solids that reached the Canadian border some time around Aug 27 and hasn't been heard from since; value is only about $22...grrrr....

But YOU are waiting for something MUCH more significant! I hope your new machine reaches you soon. You must be itching to get your hands on it...there's so much fun ahead :)

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Oh goodness, the waiting must be dreadful! The baskets are adorable. Well done.

Sheila said...

I love your makes for the swap - you must think me very rude, I have been unable to reply to your comments, thought you were no-reply, have come to you via Hadley's comments. I get there in the end!!

Ansell said...

Love the baskets and the book shelf. Beautifully made.
Am bringing over a pattern for a larger version of your baskets for you to have a look at. Maybe I should commission you?

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Someone in_________is going to be very lucky to receive these lovely mug rugs and fabric baskets. Watch out, I might be knocking on your door to claim them for myself. Good luck with customs, what a pain!

Nancy said...

The baskets are so pretty -- I can imagine putting all kinds of things in them. The mug rugs are too cute. :)

blandina said...

The basket is really attractive but I also like the wonky bookshelf: you are a talented lady indeed!