Wednesday 14 September 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday

These blocks below will soon be winging their way to So Sarah Sews who asked for pink and purple blocks using the garden fence pattern so that she could put them together and make quilts for two 12 and 13 year old sisters to whom her mother has been foster mum for a few years.  The other quilt will be made using a star design. You can see the other blocks here.  The whole subject of fostering and adoption is dear to my heart and I was more than happy to do my small bit.  I hope the girls love their quilts.  I think the next quilt should be for Sarah`s mum.



After completing the quilt top for the Across the Sea QAL I was feeling like I had finished my last exam.  It had been such a struggle with my machine that to say I felt elated is a bit of an understatement.

However, there was still work to be done.  Two mug rugs and two `goodies` for the Goodie Swap 2011 that Canadian Susan had twisted my arm to join.  Woefully behind and with a posting date just over a week away I set to it.  Using the same block pattern, I have completed the top for the first mug rug. It`s hand pieced using Kumari Garden.

Butterfly on the garden fence mug rug top
For reasons I won`t go into, I am less than convinced that my partner is going to like it. I have to think overnight as to whether to abandon it and go back to the drawing board or take my chances.

I have started the second mug rug top, which I hope will look like a book shelf with the last book falling over. I  am not happy with it yet but need to sew the `books` together before I decide.  I `ll see what it looks like once the `books` are joined together.

Hopefully my machine is back from the repairers today and my new machine is in the silver bird and landing soon.

If you are doing some stitching I hope the sewing gods are smiling on you.  Linking up with WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.












13 comments:

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

You already know I love the butterfly and the book mug rug will be terrific. In my Newbie on the Block bee Miss September has asked for library book blocks. I'll have to see how yours turns out before I continue with mine.
XOXO

Toni said...

I think they both look completely fabulous! I love the fabrics in the first. And have loved all the bookshelf quilts I've seen. Yours looks beautiful already!

SoSarahSews said...

They look great! And I love the butterfly too. Go with it.

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the look of the mugrugs, keeping everything crossed your sewing machine gets there soon!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I think everything is stunning! Hand stitched, beautiful fabric mug rug - what isn't to love!?

Ellie said...

I take my hat off to the people who foster and adopt - I think it takes a special type of person who can do that.
I really like your butterfly mug rug. :)

Canadian Abroad said...

The machine is almost there! I'm getting excited for you. Your blocks and mug rug are great. Stick with it, it's too pretty to abandon.

Laura said...

I do like the mug rug. And the others! I'm sure your partner will be very happy!

Anonymous said...

Your work is fantastic.

Catherine said...

well, thats rubbish then: I can't be your partner :-( cos I absolutley love the mug rug. anyone else would be mad not to love it too!

blandina said...

Your blocks are terrific and the fabrics so pretty. I also like this pattern of block, I have never it seen before.

Ms. Becky said...

the book rug top is such a wonderful pattern. your work is amazing - the precision and neatness of it all. I think back to the days when I was quilting, and this puts my work to shame! don't doubt that the recipient of this beauty is going to love. I don't! happy day to you Annabella.

Hootin Anni said...

Outstanding!!!! My stars, this is truly a work filled with talented skills and an object of love and caring!! Well done [I really like the colors and the 'butterfly' effect best]

Desert Shadows and Week's Summary is my day's post link if you'd care to join me.

Have a glorious weekend.