Tuesday 17 April 2012

I Have (a) Curious Nature

Firstly, I`m loving all the positivity about the dressmaking plans.  Thank you for all your comments. The books are ordered and a pattern too but they are going to my mum`s so not much will happen before we go back towards the end of May for you.know.what. We`ll be back in England for 3 whole weeks and just can`t wait!

Anyway, with pre-school hols there hasn`t been much sewing at all.

The postman made a welcome return today with this little package of loveliness.  I knew as soon as I saw Parson Grey`s Curious Nature that fabric diet or no fabric diet I had to have me some. I bought these 12 FQs from The Fat Quarter Shop and it came with a coordinating Kona Solid in Herb. I`m thinking a man quilt for my man and perhaps I`ll use my curved ruler.

Curious Nature by Parson Grey
Yesterday, I made a couple more x and plus blocks for the Care Circle of do.Good Stitches...it`s my month as quilter and the quilt(s) will be donated to Siblings Together.


...and the postie delivered a couple more from Cindy who hangs out on the emerald isle, and they fit in very nicely. Thank you Cindy!

Cindy`s blocks (top middle and bottom left)  

I`ve been playing with embroidery stitches. I hope to be able to embroider my partner`s name on her tag for the FQ Retreat.  It`s definitely harder than it looks. I`m sure I must have embroidered initials on a felt purse or needle case as a young child at school, but I`m counting this as a first attempt so be kind.

I was rubbish at back stitch.  How could that be?


I was better at Stem Stitch.


Passable French knots


Star stitches


A wonky lazy daisy


and there were attempts at letters of the alphabet but that would be telling...

That`s all for now - hope you are having a great week!

Annabella




20 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Glad you got mail!

Oh my embroidery is atrocious, I tried the 'distract them with the fabric and layard' approach!

Canadian Abroad said...

Your postie is so nice to you! And your embroidery is coming along. It just takes some practice. And it can't be as bad as Hadley's! HeeHee!! (Just saying because of her comment of course.)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I love the curious nature and the herb looks nice too! The blocks are great and the embroidery is really cute, I'm hoping to get mine posted out tomorrow :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I love the curious nature and the herb looks nice too! The blocks are great and the embroidery is really cute, I'm hoping to get mine posted out tomorrow :)

Catherine said...

Those Parson Grey fabrics look really tasty - I look forward to seeing what you do with them.

Very Berry Handmade said...

I love some of those Curious Nature prints - I have a couple of FQs, and plan to get a bigger bit to make a shirt (she says, hopefully!). I wonder if your fabric is a bit too closely woven for your embroidery thread? I think they look brilliant though, especially as you're just learning!

Jenelle said...

Curious nature is the first fabric line I have point out to my husband and gotten the positive reaction "yay I like that". lol! I think I tend to make projects with rather colorful, flowery fabrics. :) Your embroidery looks great ! I'm excited to see what you have made for your partner.

Susan said...

Love the + and x blocks- great colours! IMHO the thread you are using for embroidery looks a little thick. Is it wool? Your needle eye would need to be quite large for it, making substantial holes in the fine linen. Maybe try a finer thread and needle? :-}

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love your new fabric! Keep going with the embroidery, you're doing well!

Sheila said...

Loving that new fabric - perfect man quilt material.

Cherie said...

Love the fabric! Sometimes the rules just have to be broken! =D

Indianna said...

For some embroidery tips try the early posts of "we love French knots" by Bari - some good video tutorials

Katy Cameron said...

You've been having fun with that embroidery. Looking forward to seeing that fabric meet that ruler...

Cindy said...

The little blocks are just fab together! This is going to be one spectacular quilt.

Your embroidery is going to be just lovely. Can't wait to see that little name tag all finished off xx

A man quilt!?!? I can't wait to see more!

Danny Heyen said...

I think your embroidery is great! Don't be so down on yourself!

And, can I just say, I cannot WAIT to see what you do with that Curious Nature! I've been wanting to buy some too, but I've been putting it off because I don't know what I would make with it!

Anonymous said...

your embroidery is fab and your new bundle of fabrics are beautiful. Something to keep you busy until the FQ retreat!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

Nice + and x blocks and for such a worthy cause. This block looks so good all scrappy. I love it.

Kelly said...

Nicest looking man fabrics I have seen in a while! Love the blocks and I am with you on the embroidery, straightsticth is normally beyond me!

Catherine said...

love those greys! And your embroidery looks great-look forward to seeing who it is going to !

Leanne said...

Lovely fabric and blocks. The embroidery is good, it just takes a bit of practice and I am sure it will be fine.