Saturday 28 April 2012

Modern Minimal

A week or so ago, I was sent a digital copy of Modern Minimal by Alissa Haight Carlton, to review.

You all know how I love my quilting books don`t you?  Well this book has been in my amazon wishlist since I first saw that quilt on the front cover.  It`s full of designs for bright modern and graphic quilts using solids.

Alissa has included 20 gorgeous designs in total from baby quilts to a 90 inch beast over 5 sections - White Negative Space, Colorful Negative Space, Improvisational Piecing, Monochromatic Quilts and Baby Quilts.

Each design is clearly explained with instructions and diagrams in a highly visual way.   Alissa gives lots of great and easy to find tips about how to vary the design and also colour value which is really important when working with solids. Unlike some other quilting books, Alissa also gives you 2 ideas for quilting (usually 1 straight line and 1 free motion quilting) for each design so that`s a whopping forty ideas in total!
 
There is a section at the end of the book entitled `How to Make a Quilt`, where Alissa goes through all the basics (tools, piecing, basting, quilting and binding etc.,), which is great for a beginner quilter. 


This book is full of eye candy for those who love contemporary and graphic designs. The quilts are simply beautiful.  As a newbie to solids, using them more in my quilting and using lots of negative space is something I really want to do more of. I don`t think I would ever follow a pattern to the letter but would rather use the book as inspiration and put my own spin on it. However, if I was a beginner quilter interested in modern quilting, this would be a great book to start with!

When I am next vacillating over which binding to use or wondering whether my quilting is good enough, I shall remember the advivce - the best kind of quilt is a finished quilt!

My first all solids and improv.pieced mini
So you`re all wondering how I got my hands on this book hmm? A week or so ago, I saw an interesting post on Amarette`s blog about how she reviewed books for C&T Publishing as part of their Creative Troupe.  C&T are responsible for fabulous titles in quiltmaking, embroidery, sewing, fibre arts and their stash books, which I love - titles such as Block Party - The Modern Quilting Bee, City Quilts, Modern Blocks and Elizabeth Hartman`s soon to be released, Modern Patchwork!

I emailed the Creative Troupe, heard back within a couple of hours and had received my first book for review the next day - sent to me digitally. You can choose whichever C&T book you want to review.  Once you receive your book, you have 20 days to write your review and then you can ask for your next one.  How cool is that?

I could have chosen Zakka Style by Rachida Coleman Hale, and joined in the Zakka Style Sew Along, or Modern Mix by Jennifer Levitt or any other of C&T`s publications.  There are other perks too including product testing and discount offers. In fact now I have belatedly jumped in the Sample Swap for the FQ Retreat, I better get my hands on Zakka Style so that I can whip something up!  Off to email the Creative Troupe to get my copy.  Why don`t you give them an email too?

15 comments:

elsy said...

what a great idea....that book looks right up my street, another one on the wish list!

Leanne said...

I just had to buy a new shelf to hold my quilting books as there are so many. This is a great idea. I also have been looking at that particular book, thanks for the recommendation.

Katy Cameron said...

Great idea, and love the look of that book, I was also attracted by the bright colours on the front cover quilt

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

This looks like a helpful book.Thanks for the tip on how to review and get samples and such. I might try that soon.

Dolores said...

Thanks for the tip off - what a great idea. The review was good too, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy of that book too.

dxx

Canadian Abroad said...

If I do this I will want to buy a hard copy of every book I like. What a great and fun thing to be involved in though.

Nicky said...

Job well done! Didn't know you could just ask to review a book though!

Guess your computers going to be filling up!

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

What a brilliant idea! I've just signed up too - thought I'd take a look at the Zakka book that everyone is raving about!

Anonymous said...

I love Modern Minimal, my favorite modern quilt book!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Well done you! Nice review, and great perks!

Cherie said...

Wow sounds great! Do you get you keep the download after the 20 days?

Lucy | Charm About You said...

How fun!! That sounds brilliant, thanks for the tip :)

Sheila said...

Great looking book, thanks for the reviewing tip.Sounds like they might get overwhelmed with offers now.

Very Berry Handmade said...

Great looking book - just my kind of thing. And I love your improv quilt. And thanks for the tip about reviewing... sounds like a great deal!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

What a great idea! I really enjoyed your review, it sounds like a great book!