Friday 20 April 2012

Man With a Stained Nature

Block 1 of the Stained Quilt using Curious Nature
After all this talk of dressmaking and enbroidery, did you think I`d abandoned quilting altogether?

I`m so late to this party, everyone is either stumbling in to a taxi or home and enjoying a hangover but today I hacked in to my Curious Nature FQs and ever so slightly belatedly joined Sarah`s Stained Quilt QAL! She`s very lovely and I`m hoping she`ll still have me.

I`ve been looking for a manly quilt design (is that an oxymoron?) and thought of Sarah`s design.  I had enough Herb solid and FQs and I`ve loved seeing my blogging friends show off their stained quilts.

This is a secret project for my husband.  Well I say secret.  I`ll be able to sew it in front of him, ask him to hold it while I take photos and he`ll still be none the wiser when he`s presented with the finished quilt. He lets me get on with my quilting.  Don`t hold his disinterest incurious attitude against him.  I would much prefer that than him clucking around asking if he can help! My mum will be reading this and thinking to herself, that isn`t going to happen in a million years!

This is the first of Block 1.  There are 3 in total and Block 1 is the largest.


I haven`t really read through all of Sarah`s very thorough instructions yet and haven`t done all the pre-cutting.  I`ve just gone for it.  No zip lock bags or Post Its here! Here`s hoping I don`t regret the planning stage!


Stained QAL

27 comments:

Amy said...

I'm still at the stained party!

Looks good in Curious Nature!

Sarah said...

Oh Annabella! LOVE the curious nature, and the herb is a gorgeous choice for sashing too :-) Welcome to the party!

Anonymous said...

Really nice color combo.....

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I'm still in the taxi on the way to the party!! I love your fabric choices and your first block!

Dianne Neale said...

Looking good - I'll catch up with y'all eventually

Canadian Abroad said...

There is not one Stained quilt that does not look good. The pattern works with every fabric people have thrown at it combined with any colour sashing. Your quilt it going to be a fantastic man quilt.

And I love that himself won't guess it is for him until you present it. Perfect!

Jenelle said...

Sneaky, sneaky! ;) I would do exactly the same thing! I think this is looking great with the bold prints and the darker sashing. It is very masculine. What color solid is your sashing btw (I am thinking a warm gray)? It compliments the curious nature prints very nicely.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Too funny!
Good luck without the organizational extravaganza I required - it's looking amazing already x

Catherine said...

You've really made me want to buy a bundle - it's going to be lovely. Elegantly suitable for a bloke and beautiful at the same time!

B Greene said...

Absolutely gorgeous!! I have been itching to buy this fabric and this may push me over the edge :-)

linda said...

it is gorgeous !!

Catherine said...

what great fabric for a man quilt and block one looks fantastic. Makes me giggle to think of your husband watching you quilt his surprise quilt!

Suz J said...

It's great to see bundles that I've had in the cart, but not gone on to checkout with - end up in someone elses terrific project! Maybe I didn't need to buy it after all. This looks like an ideal pattern to keep the integrity of wonderful prints, without having a bit of a boring, largish rectangles sort of layout. Now that was a real roundabout sort of compliment :0)

Katy Cameron said...

Loving the colours, and sure him indoors will too :o) I have to admit I needed the organisation too, especially with the multitude of options in the other blocks, but good luck! Oh, and you need an extra 2.5" piece of sashing in block 4...

Cherie said...

Don't worry you're not late! I have yet to arrive. Love the colours so hard to get manly fabrics that don't look boyish =D

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I regretfully declined my invitation but being the diva that I am will show up when I'm ready. After seeing all the lovely stained quilts popping up in bLogland I have decided I need one too. Now, what colors shall I stain my fingers?

Susan said...

I love this pattern! I was seriously considering a purchase of this fabric at my LQS the other day! I think I might need to return for some!

Kelly said...

Love the man stains and agree with Susan about the pattern working with all fabrics.

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Love your fabrics, perfect for a man quilt! I am only slightly ahead of you...have fun with the blocks, they are great to make :-)

Danny Heyen said...

I like it. It's a perfect design for a man's quilt!

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

I have yet to try that stained QAL, but I joined the flickr group! I need to finish up my classes so I have more time to sew.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous fabric choices! My Stained is for a man too (it all just sounds SO wrong!)

Leanne said...

Your block looks wonderful! I have those fabrics and have yet to settle on a plan for them, this is a great idea. I am not far ahead of you in the QAL, I still have to make block 4 and then put them together. By the time I get home, you will have lapped me I expect.

Very Berry Handmade said...

It's much more fashionable to be late to the party... this looking fab. Very subtle..

Kirsten said...

This is going to be stunning Annabella! I really love the Curious Nature fabrics and have a very small stash of them here hoping to make a quilt for each of my sons one day.

leanne said...

that's going to look fabulous Annabella - love the curious nature fabrics

Anonymous said...

that looks like some sort of a military operation ... cool gadgets ;-)